Saturday, March 7, 2009

A COUPLE OF MOVIES I LIKE

As you read this, please keep in mind that I'm not a movie guy, or a Hollywood guy, and I really hate the "popular culture." However, I do like movies with great characters. A couple of movies that I like, both kinda old, are Juno and Nacho Libre. They have really good characters. These actors might be ones that everyone else in the world knows, but I didn't know most of them and now I love them, especially in these movies, where they were stunning:

In Juno, you've got Juno, played by Ellen Page and her boyfriend, Paulie Bleeker, played by Michael Cera. Both did an incredible job in this PG-13 movie. If you rent it, don't get discouraged in the first few minutes. This movie really ends up teaching some great lessons.



There's also an actor in Juno that I've seen before, and always loved, but he outdoes himself in this movie. His name is J.K. Simmons. He, and Allison Janney, who plays his wife in Juno, are tremendous. At first, they seem like typical parents in adolescent-centered movies. But they turn out to be incredible, intelligent, somewhat complicated people.


I love the language of this film. The one-liners, the nicknames they call each other, the expressions they use, are so funny. I bet you'll laugh out loud. And in the end, you might even get a lump in your throat, like I did.

Well, enough about Juno. If you haven't seen it, you should. If you've seen it, but didn't like it, too bad...you're a goof.

The other movie that has characters that just crack me up is Nacho Libre.

It's just horrible, but I laughed all the way through it. Jack Black always makes me laugh and his sidekick, Esqueleto, played by Hector Jimenez is a scream. It won't take you long to figure out why he's called Esqueleto (Skeleton).





If you want to see two good movies, both good for different reasons, check out Juno and Nacho Libre.

If you don't like Nacho Libre, you're probably not a goof, you're probably cursed with intelligence!!

5 comments:

markdw said...

Uh oh...I loved Nacho Libre. Does that make me stupid? It is incredibly retarded, but the lunacy of Jack Black makes it worth watching.

I haven't seen Juno yet, though.

Amy Do. said...

Well rats. Nacho Libre was on tv yesterday afternoon and I passed on it. I haven't seen Juno either. Off to update my Netflix queue...

Jenna said...

NACHOOOOOOOOO! "A lot of people think I don't know a buttload of crap about the gospel but i DO!"

Long live Jack Black- I wish he was my best friend.

Jennie Wojtaszek said...

I have a crush on Jack Black - he is the greatest! I also loved Juno - resisted it at first - but Alisa loves it - so we watch it often, and I love it more each time!

W said...

I took 6 kids to see Nacho Libre. We left the theater silently and got in the car before anyone spoke. My niece Megan was the one to break the silence. She said, "That movie was really weird."