Tuesday, December 14, 2010

PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS

I hate it when something seems so right and logical to me, but others who are so much smarter than me see the same thing so differently...and no matter how much I try, I don't get their side of the discussion.

Example: One major facet of President Obama's Obamacare is that insurance companies have to insure people with pre-existing conditions.

May I relate it to car insurance for a moment?

You have no car insurance. You get in a wreck and waste your car. A person in the other car dies. You call the insurance company and say, "I want to buy some car insurance and I want it to cover the accident I just had, which probably totaled my car and did kil the other driver." You'd have to be out of your mind to (1) ask an insurance company for that coverage and (2) be in the car insurance business if the government was making you cover "pre-existing" car wrecks.

Why is it any different in the health insurance business?

You have no medical insurance. You come down with a horrible disease. You call an insurance company and say, "I'm really sick. I might die. I, at least, will need some hospitalization and treatment to even have a chance of living. So, I need some medical insurance that will cover this pre-existing condition."

Why does requiring insurance companies to insure people for their pre-existing conditions make sense? Smart guys in Washington say it does. I don't see it.


3 comments:

Amy Do. said...

The way I look at it is this: If Ty changes jobs, or the company he works for starts buying our insurance from a different insurance provider, shouldn't they have to pay for diseases we already have? If not, then people with lifelong problems, like Jake's asthma, would be virutally uninsurable. What about when Jake grows up and starts his career and gets his own insurance? Shouldn't that insurance provider have to pay for his asthma care and meds?

If that is not what they are talking about, then I agree with you. I cannot hardly ever understand what the
Washington folk mean or say. It's seems to be all smoke and mirrors.

Linda Rae said...

Another way it I have heard it discussed is when an insurance company drops you because you have contracted a disease, you would have the option of purchasing it elsewhere. But in this scenario, I believe the first company would not have the right to drop you in the first place, so it really doesn't make sense. Maybe the scenario in this case is you lose your job and need insurance. However in that case, the new company must cover you, and your COBRA must cover you until you get new coverage.

What this new law will do is put insurance companies out of business--they're big corporations, after all, and make large profits--must be evil, right?

I have heard that this is why already the insurers are raising their rates before all this hits--they won't be able to do it later. I believe what the liberals want is that the insurance companies go out of business, and then we will all be forced onto the single payer/government healthcare system.

I have spent Wendy's entire life worrying about whether or not she will be able to get the care she needs.

All the answers are bad.

W said...

My concern isn't so much who is paying for it, although that weighs heavily on me, as it is that as long as I'm paying for my own health insurance (and it is expensive), I have a say in my care. I choose my doctors, I choose my treatments, and I choose my hospitals. I didn't choose my disease, or have any part in acquiring it, aside from being born this way.

I have said before that as soon as you make someone else responsible for meeting your needs, you are also making them accountable for determining what those needs are. I think that applies especially well here. I don't want the government more involved in my healthcare. I want them less involved. You can see where I'm going here.

One of my doctors, who has been treating me for 12 years, recently expressed surprise that I am working and not on disability. I said, "Why would I be on disability?" He said, "Well, I'm sure you'd qualify." I was completely stunned. I'm not disabled, or even close. But it made me think that there are plenty of able-bodied people like me who are milking the government teat, but I digress...

All that aside, do I even need to point that everything being handled on a federal level is more expensive, less organized and less effective than those things being handled by private companies? Has anyone ever visited a VA hospital? There's some federally run healthcare for you. I realize that government-operated hospitals are not what's at stake here (yet), but I can easily follow a chain of logic that arrives there if the government begins to issue healthcare coverage for regular citizens.

I know, I know. I'm preaching to the choir here. You all are against this national healthcare business, just as I am. And that is coming from someone with a pre-existing condition.